Read a Book in 15 Minutes
Try it for free. Use the special code Lifeoptimizer for a 30% discount.
In my post about meaningful work (based on Martin Seligman’s Authentic Happiness), I wrote that you should constantly exercise your strengths to gain inner satisfaction. The more you do it, the better it will be for you. That’s why it’s important that you recognize your strengths and put them to use.
There are many tools out there that can help you identify your strengths. StrengthsFinder, for instance, is a popular one. But here I want to focus on just one tool: the multiple intelligence test by Howard Garner.
- Linguistic: sensitivity to spoken and written language.
- Logical-mathematical: capacity to analyze problems logically.
- Musical: skill in the performance, composition, and appreciation of musical patterns.
- Bodily-kinesthetic: potential of using one’s body to solve problems.
- Spatial: interpretation and creation of visual images.
- Interpersonal: capacity to understand the intentions, motivations and desires of other people.
- Intrapersonal: capacity to understand oneself.
If you want to reach your full potential, you must know what your types of intelligence are and put them to use.
In my case, I took the test years ago, but only recently did I realize that I have been inadvertently using my top three intelligences in my work. That, I believe, helps to explain why I feel a general sense of fulfillment in my life.
My top three intelligences are linguistic, logical-mathematical, and intrapersonal. Here is an example of how I use them:
- Linguistic: for writing this blog.
- Logical-mathematical: for developing apps (such as HabitMaster).
- Intrapersonal: for the topic of this blog, which is personal development. In addition, most of my apps are also related to personal development.
When I realized this, I felt lucky. I didn’t plan for it. In general, of course, it’s better for you to plan how you will use your types of intelligence.
If you haven’t done so, I recommend you take the test. Then think about how you can apply your types of intelligence. Can you use them in your day job? If you can’t, I suggest you to at least use them in a side project.
If you use your specific types of intelligence, not only will you get good results because you are working with your strengths, but you will also feel fulfilled. Why? Because you are being yourself. You are realizing your potential.
Follow me on Twitter for interesting links and updates.
Photo by Nina Matthews