Note: This is a guest post from David Damron of The Minimalist Path
I wake up every morning knowing I can be something more than I was yesterday. I know I can be anything I want to be as long as I focus on that goal. I attempt to make every day another step towards succeeding at my dreams. There is no better day than today to start being the best you.
Every day that you have, you have the opportunity to make incredible things happen. Sure, there are almost 7 billion people on the Earth, but you can still make a difference either in your life or another. What I am asking of you is that you make one small attempt to make yourself better in some way for the next 7 days and, hopefully, continue this lifestyle change. Before we get into that, let’s answer a few questions…
Why Should You Become a Better You?
I am assuming you are an amazing person right now. You have accomplished many great things and done a lot for others in your life. However, I feel that if we aren’t striving daily to be a better person, we begin to feel comfortable in the daily norm. Like many of you, I hate the daily norm. I love making everyday different than the last and experience something different as often as possible. With that, we should all challenge ourselves to be better so that we continue to grow and develop at whatever point we are in our lives.
What are the Benefits of Being a Better Me?
By attempting to be a better you, you will be happier, more productive, and fulfill more dreams than if you chose to be stagnant. You will start to see new opportunities that once were never a reality nor a possibility. You will meet new and exciting people that may give more meaning to your life. These benefits just touch the surface of the positive impact of attempting to be a better you can have.
Why in the World Would I Listen to You About Being a Better Me?
That’s a great question and I am glad you asked. I am not perfect. I have many flaws. However, daily, I try to be a better person because I know that by doing so I am adding value to my existence and hopefully, to others as well. I am bringing more value to the great gift of life. If there is anyone that can strive to be a better person, it is me. So, if I am seeing the positives from trying to be a better person, I know you can gain from attempting this small action too. I am no motivational speaker, but I do know that I have the skills to assist others in a modest way. You don’t have to take any of this advice. But, it never hurts to try something new that may just improve your life. The worst case scenario is that I don’t help you in any way and you go back to your already awesome life.
Now that those questions are out of the way, here are 7 daily steps that are basic and useful to becoming a better you in 7 days:
- Wake up before sunrise. This may be tough for the night owls, but this can be one of the best ways to get in tune with yourself before the chaos hits. Take advantage of being ahead of everyone else and enjoy the coming of the day. This practice will lead to a fresher, more alive you throughout the day if continued. The happier you start your day, the brighter the rest of the day will be.
- Ask someone if there is anything you can help them with. Try to ask others if there is anything that you can do to make their day better. They will appreciate you more and may inspire them to pay it forward. This action usually leads to self-fulfillment knowing that you have improved the life of another.
- Get outside and be active. I usually plead the case for getting outside so that more people would be healthier. But, today, I just want to share this action step so that you can get outside and disconnect from the world. By this I mean the digital world. Today, many of us spend all of our day in front of the television or computer screen. The world is vast and incredible and usually it can be experienced just by walking out the front door. Take this opportunity to walk through your town or city and greet all of those you pass. Experience life in the form of nature. Do this for 30 minutes and your mind will be clearer and more alive than when you started.
- Write down your goals for the next week. Don’t look so far ahead. Enjoy everything that you want to accomplish this week. By writing down your aspirations for one week, you will be more in tune with taking action today instead of procrastinating. Want to simplify your workspace? Write it down along with small daily tasks that will accomplish this goal. Keep it simple and you will achieve great things that will brighten your days to come.
- Do one thing you love. Love reading? Love running? Love talking? Love relaxing? Love writing? Whatever it is that you love, try doing that for some period of your day. When we experience the things we love, we tend to carry that positive attitude towards the following actions. This will increase your level of enjoyment with life so that you can be better at everything else that you do.
- Make another person’s day. You would be surprised how much positive impact a small act can have on the person you are kind to along with the impact it has upon yourself. As stated earlier, you can ask someone if they need help. You can also tell them how great they are, write them a secret note (my girlfriend loves finding these in random places), take someone out for a meal, and so on. It doesn’t have to be a big thing. It just should be something that will brighten their day.
- Learn something new. Have you always wanted to know how to say a few words of Mandarin as well as understand what you were saying? Well, learn that one new thing today. Take this chance to educate yourself about one thing you didn’t know before today and you will be that much brighter. Education should not stop when we leave school. By implementing this daily act, you will be capable of improving your ability to adjust to new and improved aspects of culture.
READ THIS BEFORE YOU LEAVE: You may have read these 7 steps by skimming through this article. But what I want to stress is that you take action. Actually try something that you read here. These are not over-arching, difficult tasks. They are incredible ways that you can make major positive changes to your life. So, for me, just give it a shot for a week.
I hope through these 7 steps, you too can see the benefits of becoming a better you every day of your life.
For more from the author of PROJECT M-31: Simplify Your Life in 31 Days David Damron, check out his site The Minimalist Path.
Putting goals on paper helps me a lot. And not just goals, but also action steps, key thoughts and ideas. Writing them is a great way for me to reinforce them in my head, and so is reading what I wrote.
I have decided to get up before dawn every morning and take a walk with my best friend starting tomorrow…thanks for the practical steps for a better life! I’ll re-read your article a few more times to find ways to incorporate the other 4 steps in the next few days…ganbate!
I really like these steps because they are so balanced. A good mix of health and mental improvement.
I have found that weekly planning as a ritual, done on Sunday, has made for very purposeful and meaningful living. I like what you said about being focused on what we can do for others. It’s so easy to get caught up in our own schedule of activities that we forget there is a whole world of people who can benefit from our caring.
I really love this because many are hoping for a better week ahead while they wakeup late every morning, is really helpful thanks alot.
These are great tips! I’ve been wanting to get to the point to where I wake up regularly before sunrise, even on days when I don’t have anywhere to be around 8 or 9am. I think for me it’s just a matter of changing my routine the night before and getting in bed earlier. I have to be prepared physically and mentally in order to achieve this. I think this is something that I’m going to go ahead an implement into my days. Thanks for sharing such great tips!!
I completely agree with your tips. Some of them I’ve already tried, and they worked for me. Thanks for sharing this post!
Donald, you talk wisely my friend and what I hear is it’s all about contribution. Not with money but from the self. Not only then do we feel better and more whole but the world benefits too. A sensible, powerful piece which I enjoyed for it’s simple tone readable by any soul.
I am glad so many readers enjoyed this guest post. I am grateful for the opportunity and hope it helps others out as much as these actions help me out.
The Minimalist Path
Impressive list! I know there are only 7 and you could have made more, but I must add one. Meditation. Most people are so stressed out that they can not even listen to their “inner thoughts”. Meditation kind of falls into the line of get outdoors and disconnect from the media world. I think if people took it a step further, they would benefit from the extra calmness. All in all, wonderful job!
You gave me priceless lession to live the life with in very easy and happiness. I promise to you for implementing these steps in my daily live and for improving/succeding.
Thank you very much.
Nice post! 🙂 I completely agree with making someone’s day. Such a small gesture can go a long way – especially somewhere like England where people don’t expect much more than a courtesy “please” or “thanks”. Going a little further by saying “Thanks. Have a nice day, you’re doing a great job” really makes an impact. 🙂
I truly love your attitude of self-development and growth. But I’d like to make a couple of points about your opening paragraph. First, we really can’t be anything we want to be just by focusing on goals. At 55 years of age and with my 6’ stature, there is no goal or amount of super-dedication that will get me to the NBA. Even though I think this would be a pretty cool thing to do. So point one, we have limits. Now we can do a lot more than we think we can do, and we can definitely become better at living an authentic life, but there are a variety of limits that simply cannot be overcome. Second, IMHO, I think starting from a “What do I want to be perspective?” is not the best way to find passion and fulfillment, in other words, true success. To find these sometimes elusive rewards, we must align our lives with our life’s purpose. I believe that our life purpose is found by listening to our Calling. So from my perspective the better starting question is, “What am I being asked to do?” Oh, we’ll love doing it, but it’s a significantly different, and less selfish place to start.
I am certain everyone who has read this article realized that we all have limits. It is implied. I do not believe that was the point of the article. The article was meant to inspire people to become a better version of themselves.
[…] day Posted by: Jonya on: June 5 2010 • Categorized in: Getting Fit, Inspiration Reviewing the list here… humm… I’ve done 2, 3, 5, 7 and maybe 6 from this list today. I’ve enjoyed the active day part […]
its so great to see all these saying
i think your wonderful you bring out the best in people i have a son who is 27 with mental problems i try so hard to keep posited about my issue with him he has hard of gold but thinks there nothing wrong with him i just keep praying that god will answer my pray on helping him so that he can live a normal life this really help me today also my co-worker son is back in the hospital with siezers i open this up today wow i already forward to alot of people thank you for all you kind words it means alot
Great steps. I’m going to focus on waking up earlier, making someone’s day (everyday), and learning something new (everyday).
I honesty think that these steps will be helpful in the week that I am changing to be a different and better person. I am willing to change for the better of myself, friends and family around me. I thank you for giving all of us who want to change some advice on being able to do it by ourselves.
i love this it is encouraging
Great post. Most people are always trying to be a better person and this tips will sure help.
Great article. Great reminders to achieving the road to becoming better!
🙂 this helps alot and made my day
I am edified. thank you
Positive insight, put your own twist on it and this should work for everyone. At lease give it a try
i love it and it has strengthen more
You caught my attention there. Yes I just scanned it but find it helpful and inspiring. I’ll take action one step at a time to become a better me.
I feel that only i can be a better me and not listen to anyone else especially a fiance who doesnt get me.
Comments are closed.