Our brain is amazing. All scientific and technological achievements of human civilization come from the brain.
To better appreciate the magic of the brain, here are top 10 interesting facts about the human brain:
1. Your brain is the most energy-consuming part of your body. The brain represents only 2% of the body weight, but it uses up to 20 percent of the body’s energy production. The energy is used for cell-health maintenance and to fuel electrical impulses that neurons employ to communicate with one another.
2. Your brain contains about 100 billion neurons which is about 16 times the number of people on Earth. Each of them links to as many as 10,000 other neurons. This huge number of connections opens the way to massive parallel processing within the brain.
3. The neocortex (a section of the brain involved with language and consciousness) accounts for about 76% of the mass of the human brain. Human neocortex is much larger than any animals. It gives humans unique mental capacities although its brain architecture is similar to that of more primitive species.
4. Humans do not use only 10% or less of their brain. This is a common misconception. Even though many mysteries of brain function persist, every part of the brain has a known function.
5. Neurons multiply at a rate 250,000 neurons per minute during early pregnancy.
6. 750ml of blood pumps through your brain every minute which is 15-20% of blood flow from the heart.
7. The human brain is about 75% water.
8. Your brain consumes 25 watts of power while you’re awake. This amount of energy is enough to illuminate a lightbulb.
9. It is estimated that the human brain has a raw computational power between 1013 and 1016 operations per second. It is far more that 1 million times the number of people on Earth.
10. Our brain often fools us. It often perceives things differently from the reality. For instance, check the following picture. Square A and B are actually the same shade of gray.
- Brain – Wikipedia
- Human brain – Wikipedia
- Why Does the Brain Need So Much Power?
- Brain Facts
- Brain Facts and Figures
- Brain Limits
This article is part of May 2008 theme: Mind.
Wow…this is not only poorly written but factually inaccurate and contains more than a few typos. What I love most is that the article claims that the brain has 100 billion neurons which is 166 times greater than the human population. Naturally this means that the world only has only 600 million people. AWESOME!
he said 16 times wich is about 6.5 billion, wich is correct.. were did you get 166?
Im mark kelly i am stupid and I can’t read bla bla bla seriously if u can’t get it right don’t talk.
lol thats funny
Don’t be so rude
Read Dr Amen’s books. Great brain books!
I appreciate the input. I’ve made correction though I might still miss something.
I’ve heard about his books but I haven’t read them. I will check them out.
Did the people who rated this post on Stumbleupon actually read this post before doing so?
It’s full of incorrect info.- where are your references to back up your facts? What point are you trying to make by constantly comparing the numbers of neurons with the population of Earth?
I thought Stumbleupon was to highlight quality writing? It does your reputation- and that of those stumblers who rated you- no favors if they did so without checking the actual page first. You are letting stumblers down by doing each other favors to boost page views.
Where is your quality control?
I gave the links to my sources at the end of the article. Those are my references. And I didn’t ask anyone to rate this post on StumbleUpon. They did so by their own.
Regarding quality control, I tried to make it as good as I could. I’m sorry if it doesn’t meet your standard.
Interesting article but why so much hate in the comments? Relax people, everyone makes mistakes. Even the great Mark Kelly isn’t infallible: “…the world only has only 600 million people….”
[…] Top 10 Interesting Facts About The Brain at Life Optimizer. There’s so little that is actually known about the brain. […]
[…] Top 10 Interesting Facts About the Brain […]
great info. agreed with Improved Lives
[…] Top 10 Interesting Facts About the Brain […]
[…] Top 10 Interesting Facts About the Brain « Previous Post […]
[…] ???????? ?????? ?????, ?????????? ????? […]
did you know that your brain is 75% water.
It’s so much easier to just log in and write nasty comments than to write something your DAMN self,huh,Guys……..
If you look at your checker board every other square is is different color.. the A and B are different color by design of the board..
To Mark Kelly,
The article says 16 times the population of the world, ie 6 billion
Even though, i agree that the article is badly written!
Guys just to let you know that 1 billion is a thousand million…peace 😉
Interesting article. Lots of information.
why do you high light the- brain-facts-about-
whats up with that
wow!!! Top10 interesting facts of brain are so amazing!!! So nice~~~~
this website gives good and real information.Ilove it.
I keep hearing that “when you die the brain plays back memories in a dream sequence” is this true?
Comments are closed.