Previously I’ve written why personal development is important and even more important nowadays. I believe that one area of it is personal knowledge management (PKM). There are two reasons for this:
- This is the era of knowledge worker
Which is why knowledge management is obviously very important.
- This is the era where we need to compete individually more than ever before
This is due to Globalization 3.0 which I’ve written about before.
So, since we are knowledge workers who need to advance and compete individually, PKM should be an integral part of our life. Done effectively, PKM would help us grow our knowledge to become more and more competitive.To introduce the concept of PKM, there is an excellent article in Wikipedia. Here are some ideas about PKM from that article:
- Personal KM is focused on helping an individual be more effective — to work better.
- PKM is a response to the idea that knowledge workers increasingly need to be responsible for their own growth and learning.
- Skills associated with PKM include reflection, manage learning, information literacy, organizational skills, and networking with others.
- PKM tools include index/search (like desktop search), concept/mind-mapping, people/expert finding (through social networking), conversation management (like blogs and forums), RSS, etc.
As you can see, some popular technologies like desktop search, social networking, blogs, and RSS are used for PKM. In the future, I’d like to touch more on how to do PKM effectively using these tools and others.