Note: This is a guest post from Celestine Chua of The Personal Excellence Blog Have you ever received negative feedback before? Say, a friend or family member complaining about you. A boss or colleague critiquing your work. A partner or a spouse unhappy with something you did. I run The Personal Excellence Blog which has a readership of about 3,000 readers a day. Every day, I receive feedback about the articles I write. While most of them are positive, there is the occasional negative feedback every now and then.
Do you want to be effective? Then you need to focus only on a few important things. This is the essence of the 80/20 rule. Unfortunately, it’s easier said than done. You might try to simplify your life only to find that you are still doing too many things at once. You might try to simplify your life and still be overwhelmed by your responsibilities. But why does it happen? Why is it often difficult to apply the 80/20 rule? I think one important reason is that we lack the willingness to let go. Just think about it. If you focus only on the top 20% then you need to let go the rest 80%. Imagine doing ten things and then letting go eight of them. I don’t know about you, but that doesn’t sound easy to me.
Note: This is a guest post from Ian Coburn of Best Possible Choice We’ve all experienced it””utter disbelief when someone who is obviously ill equipped for a role, typically in management, gets it, or snagged a client we wanted. How do such things occur? To find the answer, look to the recent Olympics shellacking Russia took at the hands of the Canadians in hockey. Russian goalie Nabokov was pulled less than halfway through the game, after the score became 6-1. Instantly, everyone from broadcasters to people who don’t know anything about hockey denounced Nabokov’s play. Even knowledgeable forums for the sport, like HF Boards, put up threads suggesting Nabokov was the biggest disappointment in the Olympics. In effort to achieve a goal, businesses and individuals create tools of measurement. Frequently, we find ourselves focusing so much on the measurement that we lose sight of the goal, causing us to make bad choices.
In the post 4 Lessons on How to Get Things Done, there is an interesting comment by Mark Foo: Bill Gates once remarked that the key to succeed in business is to innovate and make yourself obsolete. If you don’t make yourself obsolete, your competitors will make you obsolete. I agree completely. We live in a fast-changing world. What is current today may already be obsolete two years from now. For that reason, it’s important to know how to improve yourself. You need to make yourself obsolete. If you don’t, someone else will. I once read that when a Sony team in one floor launched a product, another team at another floor was already working on a new version of the product. And yet another team was working on an even newer version of it. That’s a company that works hard to make itself obsolete.
Note: This is a guest post from Chris Birk of Write Short Live Long Carefully chosen words are among the most disposable items in today’s throwaway society. That’s helped to make compliments ”” real, meaningful words of praise ”” an increasingly elusive treasure. The reality is that the art of giving meaningful compliments has become a dying one. Part of it is political correctness. Part of it lies in the faceless, informal ways we’re connected to one another through technology. It’s not that we’ve become cold and unfeeling. Most of us do issue compliments ”” to co-workers, loved ones and even sometimes strangers. But they tend to ring hollow, failing to truly connect with and touch the recipient.
That’s what James Cameron said at the end of his TED talk and I love it. It’s simple but powerful. Failure is an option, but fear is not. Unfortunately, people often do the exact opposite: failure is not an option, but fear is. They don’t tolerate failure but they tolerate fear. They despise people who fail but they let fear get in the way of reaching their dreams. We shouldn’t join them, of course. Let’s be on the right side of the fence. Failure Is an Option Here is how to apply this principle in your life: